- Benthic data were compiled from a variety of sources for the SEFCRI region for this layer. SampleDate recorded as 2012 based on the "main source" of data used to create this map.
- sediment data, benthic maps (only the benthic maps are available)
- Benthic data were compiled from a variety of sources for the SEFCRI region for this layer. The main data source was from a recent FDEP study that conducted a power analysis to understand the level of surveying needed to detect change of certain benthic types including stony coral, soft coral, and sponges (Fauth 2012). This dataset was acquired and updated with the latest information for monitoring stations and other large surveys that took place since. FRRP data were downloaded from TNC’s website from 2005 – 2014. Percent Cover was calculated by determining the area of stony corals as a percentage of the surveyed area. This likely overestimated percent cover because colony areas outside the survey transect were measured and included. SECREMP and Broward monitoring data were updated with 2013 data. Several quantitative surveys for mapping efforts were included. Martin county mapping (2011), Town of Palm Beach nearshore mapping (2014), and SE FL Nearshore Benthic habitat mapping data (2013) were all added. The anchorage sites for the FDEP Port of Miami study were added. Coral density was calculated where possible with the data in hand. Because all studies did not use consistent survey methods there are a number of considerations.
- GIS layers
- Data Location
- Data Format
- Submerged Aquatic Vegetation Coral/Coral Reef
- SEACAR Citation
- Nova Southeastern University (NSU). (2012). Benthic information. Updated 04/22/2022. Distributed by: SEACAR Data Discovery Interface, Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection, Florida Department of Environmental Protection. https://data.florida-seacar.org/programs/details/4040
- Alternative Citation
indicates priority attributes
Export Standardized Data
Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection Managed Areas
Biscayne Bay, Biscayne Bay-Cape Florida to Monroe County Line, Coral ECA, Florida Keys NMS
|Submerged Aquatic Vegetation - Acreage|
|Coral/Coral Reef - Acreage|