- NE, SW, NW
- FWRI coordinates monitoring of sea turtle nesting activity. The surveys are conducted through a network of permit holders consisting of federal, state, and local park personnel; other government agency personnel; members of conservation organizations, university researchers; and private citizens. FWRI staff coordinate data collection, provide training, and compile annual survey data for distribution to management entities, the research community, the press and the public.
- Speices, # of nests, nest locations, # hatchlings, nest success, predation
- Managers use the results to evaluate and minimize the effects of human activities (e.g., coastal construction, beach renourishment, and recreation) on turtles and their nests and identify important areas for enhanced protection or land acquisition.
- Survey data are derived from observations of tracks and other nesting signs left on beaches by sea turtles. Species identifications and determinations of nesting or non-nesting emergences are based on evaluations of features of tracks and nests (e.g., track width, track configuration, size of the body pit) as described by Schroeder and Murphy, Research and Management Techniques for the Conservation of Sea Turtles, and the FWC Marine Turtle Conservation Handbook.
- Data Location
- By Request from Beth Mongiovi (Brost) Assistant Research Scientist Marine Turtle Research Fish and Wildlife Research Institute 100 8th Avenue SE St. Petersburg, FL 33701 Beth.Brost@MyFWC.com (727) 502-4738 Fax: 893-9176
- Data Format
- RCP Program not part of SEACAR analysis
- Recommended Citation
indicates priority attributes
Export Standardized Data
|Habitat(s) : Indicator(s)||Last Updated||File Download|
Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection Managed Areas
|RCP Program not part of SEACAR analysis - Additional Indicators|
Documentation and Data provided by program
|File Type||File Name||Added On||Details|
|GIS||FCO_nesting_beaches2018.zip||02/19/19 09:08 AM|
|GIS||Sea_Turtle_Nesting_Beaches_Florida.zip||02/11/19 12:53 PM|
|Logo||DEP_logo_2019.png||04/08/19 01:57 PM|
|Logo||FWC logo.png||07/15/21 01:06 PM|
|Protocols||fwc-mtconservationhandbook 2016.pdf||02/11/19 12:53 PM|