- Seagrass ecology, water quality, water clarity. Braun-blanquet method: 1998-2005, 14 fixed transects and 2006 - current randomized sampling design in Clearwater Harbor and St Joseph Sound; 1998 – current, 11 fixed transects in Boca Ciega Bay and 2 fixed transects in Feather Sound. 30m transects are lain generally north-to-south. At 0m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m, 25m and 25m and 30m, species present, % coverage, visual appearance, depth, epiphytic coverage and type and sediment are recorded. At 0m, 15m and 30m, 3 10cmX10cm square short shoot counts are made for each species present and 5 blade lengths are measured. Hydrolabtm data is collected at each site and field observations are made of weather, tide, secchi. Lat/Longs are recorded from the GPS.
- Species present, Percent cover (%), blade length, shoot count, epiphytes present, sediment types, depth (m), algae present, pH, temperature (C), salinity (ppt), dissolved oxygen (mg/L), transmissivity, light attenuation
- Seagrass beds are monitored as part of a regional program administered by the Tampa Bay Estuary Program.
- To provide scientists, resource managers, legislators, and other stakeholders a summary of the status of seagrasses in coastal waters of Western Pinellas County, Florida.
- https://www.pinellascounty.org/environment/watershed/pdf/Pinellas_County_Seagrass_Report_1998-2010.pdf SIMM Report - https://myfwc.com/media/11889/western-pinellas-county-coastal-waters.pdf
- 30m transects are lain generally north-to-south. At 0m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m, 25m and 25m and 30m, species present, % coverage, visual appearance, depth, epiphytic coverage and type and sediment are recorded. At 0m, 15m and 30m, 3 10cmX10cm square short shoot counts are made for each species present and 5 blade lengths are measured.
- 2006 sampling design was modified in Clearwater Harbor and St Joseph Sound. Alternating annual sampling started in 2020.
- Data Location
- By Request
- Data Format
- Submerged Aquatic Vegetation
- SEACAR Citation
- Pinellas County (Florida); Department of Environmental Management; Tampa Bay Estuary Program (TBEP). (2019). Western Pinellas County Seagrass Monitoring. Updated 06/30/2020. Distributed by: SEACAR Data Discovery Interface, Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection, Florida Department of Environmental Protection. https://data.florida-seacar.org/programs/details/564
- Alternative Citation
indicates priority attributes
Export Standardized Data
Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection Managed Areas
Boca Ciega Bay, Pinellas County
|Submerged Aquatic Vegetation - Percent Cover (by species)|
Documentation and Data provided by program
|File Type||File Name||Added On||Details|
|Data||2020 FD_seagrass.xlsx||02/02/21 08:10 AM|
|Data||Clearwater Harbor-St Joe Sound SG Data 2011-2019.xlsx||03/30/20 03:07 PM|
|Data||FD_seagrass_2019 random transects.xlsx||04/17/20 12:00 AM|
|GIS||Clearwater Harbor-St Joseph Sound seagrass targets 2006-2018.xlsx||03/20/19 03:57 PM|
|GIS||Program564_BadLocations.xlsx||01/25/21 09:28 AM|
|Protocols||Ambient Coastal Strata Map.jpg||03/28/19 07:09 AM|
|Protocols||Metadata 2006-present_copy.pdf||01/22/19 12:02 PM|