- Bottom Temperatures on Coral Reefs
- Depth (ft), water temperature (deg. C)
- Data available to FKNMS Managers and others who monitor and assess environmental conditions that influence FKNMS areas of the Florida Reef Tract.
- To document bottom seawater temperature in strategic areas of the Florida Reef Tract on a continuing basis and make that information available to management and research user groups. These thermographs provide valuable information regarding temperature conditions on the sea floor, which indicate the actual environmental exposures for benthic organisms. Initially, the collected data are made available to FKNMS Managers and others who monitor and assess environmental conditions that influence FKNMS areas of the Florida Reef Tract. An archival copy of these data is maintained and available from the U.S. National Oceanographic Data Center.
- Data portals
- A total of 38 subsurface recording thermographs (Ryan Industries, Inc. and Sea-Bird Electronics, Inc. thermographs) have been deployed in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS) and at other selected locations on the Florida Reef Tract and associated hydrologic ecosystems. These instruments have been programmed to record at 2 hour intervals and are placed in permanent housings attached to suitable substrate. Data retrieval, servicing and reprogramming for continuous deployment have occurred, on average, annually.
- Due to mechanical problems with some instruments, there are occasional gaps in the data streams from some of the monitoring stations.
- Data Location
- https://www.coris.noaa.gov/search/catalog/main/home.page Search for "continuous bottom temperature measurements"
- Data Format
- Water Column Coral/Coral Reef
- Recommended Citation
- Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS). (2014). Continuous Bottom Temperature Measurements along the Florida Reef Tract. Updated 09/17/2020. Distributed by: SEACAR Data Discovery Interface, Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection, Florida Department of Environmental Protection. https://dev.seacar.waterinstitute.usf.edu/programs/details/989.
indicates priority attributes
Export Standardized Data
|Habitat(s) : Indicator(s)||Last Updated||File Download|
Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection Managed Areas
Florida Keys NMS
|Water Column - Water Quality|
|Coral/Coral Reef - Additional Indicators|